Saturday, June 29, 2013

TAKE THAT OBJECTIVE SOLDIER!

Welcome, Today I wanted to show some easy objective markers that you can make with some left over models you have sitting around. 

These first ones I'll show you I made four of for $5 + the models used. You start by going to Michaels (or other craft store) and getting some wedding cake pillars, you want the smallest they have as they will still be tall enough to tower over a rank and file model but more importantly you can put a 28mm round base into the top of them, thus allowing you to place a model on the pillar. From there it's a simple matter of choosing what models you want to go on top (if you don't glue the base in you could have multiple "statues" and replace them when you get tired of looking at them.) But enough talk lets take a look at the four I made today (the sister of battle one was the first I did almost 3 years ago).





To get the models looking like they did I primed them white and then for the newest four, I applied vallejo's rich gold alcohol based paint and then went over it with a sepia wash. (for some reason the marines that I primed gathered snowy build up of flat primer which can happen when the humidity is high, just another reason not to prime models right before it's about to rain.) 
For the sister I used green gold of the same brand and then hit her with a ton of badab black wash (nuln oil now).

But my last objective marker is by far the biggest and usually the one people like the most. Considering that I originally made it as an Infinity "set piece" and it got relegated to the realm of interesting projects on my desk, I thought it was time to try and finish it. 


"Now wait just a minute." I hear you say. "I've seen plenty of test subjects and even people in tubes in miniatures...What's so special about this one?" 
Well if you notice the tube has a hole in the bottom. There is a reason for this. Several years back laser cut crystals were "Hot-shit" and came with semi-large bases which would light up and show off the laser cut images.

Can you guess what's underneath her tube now?



And yes. it does change colors, the unit I recieved even seems to flicker when it tries to shift to yellow or red, giving the tank a nice look of "low power"















That's all for today, Gonna have some dreadball stuff up later this week, as I'm painting a commission for someone. 

~SWL

1 comment:

Perry de Havilland said...

The test subjects are the most innovative and creative markers I have ever seen! I am in awe!

Post a Comment